Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Attempting to make Sinigang na karne...

3:08 pm

Got the beef short ribs.
Got the bok choy.
Got the green beans.Got the tamarind mix...
We'll see how it goes!
In order to be a more well rounded cook and food eater, I am trying new (to me) recipes. This is actually something my mom made all the time. I may be having the urge to eat more Filipino dishes since I was with her all last week. Its also a good way to eat veggies. I am trying really HARD to eat more food not saturated in cheese.

True test is if Shawn likes it.
19:00

He Loved it.

And Bully enjoyed his bone and the familiar soup flavor I poured atop his kibble. My mom used to give him sinigang when we had it.
Sinigang is a soupy dish with veggies and your chouce of beef, pork or fish. I chose beef short ribs as the Fresh Market was havin' a saaaale!

This is the key:


It gives that tangy flavor without out adding lots of extra salt. I also squeezed the juice of a quartered lemon.

Don't forget fresh veggies. I used bok choy since I picked some up at the Buford Hwy. Hong Kong Supermarket. Latino and Asian superstore in one! The two cultures haven't quite grown large enough to have a "little Havana, " or "chinatown" or similar in places like Atlanta yet.


I used this book. Its pretty easy to follow. And I took it from my mom's house.

And...Voila!

1 comment:

  1. when you get to making desserts like puto or ginataan, you make sure to post it. i want to see. i'm so bad, i haven't made them since before i was married...which was almost 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete